Serious Games challenging us to play a better future
Via: Avant Game Blog - URGENT EVOKE: Help Run A 10-Week Crash Course In Changing The World
Avant Game (Jane McGonigal) is launching a new Alternate Reality Game called Evoke - a crash course in changing the world.
The goal of the game is to help empower young people all over the world, and especially young people in Africa, to come up with creative solutions to our most pressing problems: hunger, poverty, disease, war and oppression, water access, education, climate change.
The game is a project for the World Bank Institute (the learning and knowledge arm of the World Bank).
The game runs for 10 weeks, with a new mission and a new quest each week.
Players who successfully complete all 10 missions and all 10 quests will be able to claim their honors: World Bank Institute Certified Social Innovator – Class of 2010.
Top players will also earn mentorships with experienced social innovators and business leaders from around the world.
If you just want to play the game, follow @evokenet on Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an alert when we launch.
If you want to help running the game, they’re putting together a team of five game assistants. Honorarium: $1000 USD, plus an invitation to the EVOKE conference in Washington, DC.
You’ll be needed online for 1 full day (8 hours) a week for 10 weeks (March 3 – May 12, 2010), plus a few days for pre-game orientation and training. You can work from anywhere in the world and choose which day (or night) of the week you’ll work.
• Play the game
• Help answer other players’ questions
• Moderate discussions
• Review “mission evidence” (blog posts, videos, photos, e.g.) completed quests, so you can award points to players
• Write a weekly blog post, or make a weekly video, reviewing your favorite moments from the game that week
• Great at social networks and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Ning, etc.)
• Able to consume lots of digital media quickly (watch lots of videos, read lots of blog posts, follow lots of Tweets) and pick out the most interesting stuff
• Trustworthy, reliable, able to work independently
• An epic sense of adventure – this is a brand new game with very big goals
TO APPLY please find all the details here at Avant Game Blog.